emma mcgann

jumping on the blogwagon

Saturday, 17 October 2009

I thought she told you she can't dance?

Going over what I'd written in the last post I've realised it's actually a good idea to keep a blog for myself otherwise I'd most likely have forgotten half the things that I've been up to!
It's now October and I've started at Cov Uni doing Music Composition & Performance, it's only two weeks in and I'm loving every second! I can imagine it'll get more challenging as the year goes on but I really can't wait to get stuck in and start playing with new people!

As for the acoustic night at Eden Bar, alas it is no more. It had it's good weeks and bad weeks and we had some great acts down but after having a slight disagreement in regards to payment and promotion etc. I thought it best to knock it on the head and take Tuesday nights off! It's such a pleasant little venue and it's got a lot of potential but I reckon the location just puts people off.

However, I have started another night down Rosie Malone's. I'll be honest and say that so far the locals in there haven't been as responsive and I'd have hoped, but I think there's a lot of leeway for it to progress and get better. For one it's the official pre-club for the Kasbah which draws in a lot of students anyway. In the meantime James is usually busy downstairs at Rosie's twiddling, pulling and pushing certain buttons to make the bands sound ace. Does a good job of it too.

As for the album/EP, things are certainly looking up! We've been recording new material recently and still have dates in the future for the studio to lay even more tracks down so that's definitely something to look forward to. We've recently finished a track called 'Start the Show' which will be on the myspace pretty soon. Currently working on a new song called 'Jezebel' and 'Wasting Time'. After that I reckon the EP will be near enough ready! I've been looking into sponsorship for the album from different companies, one being Sailor Jerry's rum. I sent them a dinky little box filled with little totes and delights and a letter enquiring about sponsorship and to my surprise they were really responsive! They even sent me some free Sailor Jerry t-shirts, playing cards, stickers and a bottle of rum! Was a lovely little package to wake up to! As for sponsorship they'll be in touch as they haven't set up anything in the UK for supporting unsigned acts like they have in the US but they said they'd let me know :)

Me and James have booked a camper van holiday for the 7th December. We'll be bloody frozenbut I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay as steep as it costs during the summer! I thought about looking up some venues to play round the south of England while we're away but I reckon a weeks break from the music side of things is definitely needed!

The Godiva Festival has come and gone (it seems like light years ago that it was summer) It was a lovely weekend, with constant sun and some interesting music. I was running a small acoustic stage myself in the mini-market which was good fun. Playing on a different stage whilst Newton Faulkner was on another proved difficult to keep a crowd though! Got terribly sunburnt too!

I was asked to run the open mic night at the Tin Angel throughout October which has been really enjoyable so far. It's a lovely place to host anything musical. We've even had a few poets share their work too.

Me and Katie organised another Bank Holiday Lovin' at the Campbell. It was pretty last minute that I was asked but we managed to raise a bit which was what really mattered. Not as much sun this time and no live bands but lots of acoustic delights downstairs in the corner that made the day :)

The Tuns is apparently re-opening which is something to look forward too! It'll be good to have somewhere else to go other than the Campbell again! Noth that there's nowhere else in Coventry, but I always liked the atmosphere in there. Gave you that warm fuzzy feeling.

As for the nights down Esquire's I passed them along to my friend Lee Evatt who was eager to start a night of his own. I usually work Saturday nights which doesn't give me a lot of leeway to get acts booked and organise/promote the night properly, but Lee's doing a darn good job so far.

We moved into the flat about 2 months ago now. It gets messy at times but it's nothing we can't all keep on top of! There seems to be a lot of instruments strewn about the place, guitars, tele's, bass's, banjo's, trumpets, bongos, violins etc. ... the neighbours love us.

Almost halloween, meaning a mass metal band night at the Campbell I reckon. The Monster Mash. with Finish Him and support from evenflowerskill and a zombie discotheque to follow. Sweet! Also planning some kind of Christmas Carol sesh for Songbird... not to sure where to start with that one but I'm sure we'll think of something!

Currently sat in Mum's flat as have locked myself out for the first time since moving there. Which has resulted in having to cancel a gig and an acoustic night. Goody.

Roll on Christmas 09.

No comments:

Post a Comment